Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mad about Tulips

 
It is the time of the year for us to enjoy tulips. Tulips have so many varieties and stunning colors. It is hard to ignore their existence. They usually bloom around late March-April here in Northwest depending on the weather. Wooden Shoe tulip farm (Woodburn, Oregon) has their annual tulip festival from March 29 to May 5 this year.  If you like tulips, this is one place that you don’t want to miss.



I was there last year for hours and brought home hundreds of pictures.  I thought I have downloaded them but I did not. Not until I had deleted all the files, I did not realize that my downloading was not successful.  I want to go back.
 

Two years ago, when we came down from our trip to Whistler, Canada, we stopped by La Connor, Washington. Boy, there are acres and acres of tulip farms.  They have their Skagit Valley tulip festival every year. La Connor is the center of the event and a beautiful place to stay overnight and take time to cruise the field and appreciate the beauty of tulips. When visiting a vast tulip area like this, walking along the field takes time. I also did not want to stay in one place for my photography. We drove a little and selected a few spots to stop.  Most of the fields here plant one type of tulips and the entire field is one single color.  It is nice to take shots of the field, not ideal for close-up shots if you are looking for varieties. Aside from photography,  you can simply stroll along the field and immersed with the colors.

La Connor tulips
Wooden Shoe is one farm and they plant varieties of flowers in the field. You can walk by one section and see all the colors you could have dream of.  Marco shots opportunity are everywhere. There are also family fun events, such as wooden shoe ride, pony ride, and many mobile amusement park items.  You can spend a full day there and not getting bored.


Wooden Shoe tulip farm
We have a tulip magnolia tree in our front yard.  It is now the blooming season and the striking large pink blossoms caught lots of attention.  It is probably the most eye catching tree in our street. Traditional magnolia has large white blossoms and this tulip magnolia has pink flowers that shaped like tulips.  I took its pictures every year and this year I decided to cut a few for the vase and observed them closer.   When they are up in the tree, they don’t open completely before they dropped on the ground.  


But I have watched them open gradually and completely in the vase before the pedals dropped.  The pedals are large and fragrant. It is white inside and gradient pink outside. I am in awe appreciating God’s creations.
Tulip Magnolia










No comments:

Post a Comment