Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Salute to Spring

Spring is literally here. She brings in sunshine, new life, color, cheer and energy. Blue sky, white cloud, sage mountain, green acres and multitude of colors.  Flowers are the primary source of colors. It is not just the varieties of colors. Multi colors are displayed on one single type of flower, too.

It is now the blooming season. After many months of cold and wet weather, it is so refreshing and energizing to be surrounded by flowers and colors. They are surely the secret potion to rejuvenate our spirit and carry away our winter dismay. 

This is the first day that we are able to dine on our patio with seatings surrounded by trees and greens. 

Sunset light shines on the white cherry tree, it is golden and it is hidden among cherry blossoms. Our red wine is bitter sweet, slightly fruity and aromatic. The cozy, fuzzy warmth just down the throat. A salute to spring! 

Heaven-on-earth is here at Wooden Shoe tulip farm on a breezy and sunny day. I  have been here three times. This is the first time that I actually bring home some pictures. My first visit was two years ago. I then just began to use a DSLR and did not have clue about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Everyone was shooting, so I did. I brought home about 100 images and downloaded them to my computer. Then I deleted the files from memory card without knowing my download job was not successful

Later, I learned that the files can actually be recovered from memory card using some sort of rescue software. I tried, but too late. I did not get anything out of the card. Not a big deal. I did not think they were too exciting any way. I went back the second time last year with friends and children. We got 
there late. It was a sunny Sunday. Double jeopardy. Lots of family fun events, but too much sun and overwhelming crowd. Shooting flowers with a remotely clean background was impossible.

Efforts are required to create good opportunities. Going with the flow does not do the justice.

Was determined to take some pictures this time, I was there before sunrise and before sunset. And yet, many other photographers had been there before me, had their spot claimed and tripod on duty...  I don't have another 20-30 years to play, I better work harder. I have to become an early bird.

Sun came up briefly after I'd waited in morning chill for more than an hour. I was thrilled to be able to have some shots to portrait this beautiful sunny day. It is irresistible to ponder on it. It brings me the light, the heat and the photo opps that I have been longing for.

Wooden Shoe is such a well-cultivated and maintained tulip farm. The blossoms are large and rich in luster. Single color patches create beauty in unity and mixed patches invite excitement in diversity. They are absolutely gorgeous either way. I seriously did not know where to begin at first. Once I got rolling, I had hard to stop.

Deep colors are looking splendid and magnificent while pastel ones looking delicate and elegant. So many flowers can be used for subjects in different degree, and so easily to look beautiful. If I have used 'beautiful' too many times here, my other option will  be 'speechless'.

Bright yellow and orange have never been my favorite colors. But while the orange is a papaya orange and it is brushed into the yellow. They are so seamlessly engaged. Awesome.

The contrast blend of white, yellow and screaming red is outstanding. I am surprised that my humble camera has actually captured the exact red color, the romantic and poetic red. The red that makes you scream and want to embrace. And, of course, my favorite purple or you like to call it violet which has its regal gesture and outlook.


I grow up in a small island where there is one single mountain range. Plenty of giant and ancient trees, but the varieties of flowers are very limited. Green is the dark and hazy green. Flower colors are sporadic and scare. In a dense community, people can only hope for some colors from flower pots. However, air quality is questionable and flowers are not thriving in pots.   It is surely the big quality improvement of my life to live in a spacious and natural environment with abundant fresh air and colors.

Spring is the time for animal world to expect their new babies. I have heard birdie's sound around and seen the flapping wings. The little ones know how to attract mommy's attention to get fed. They are afraid to get caught because they cannot fly too fast and too far, and yet they are drawing attention with their juvenile behavior. It is fun to watch.

There was a college Crew race at Daxer Lake last weekend in a misty day. I knew it would not be a good photo opportunity, but I went for it out of curiosity and for the fun. Walking by the lake, I heard this high pitched Kill-Deer sound which led me to the bird, a mother bird with three freshly laid eggs.

Their calling sound is how they get their name as Killdeer.  Killdeer usually hang out close to the water
on the ground.  On a regular day, this place is calm and isolated, killdeer can have their home party here without any threat.  But it was the racing day with large crowd and that sent the alarm to the mother.

She sent out her emergency alarm repeatedly, but no second bird came around. I guess her man was out watching the race and drinking beer. She was all alone trying to protect her unborn babies.

I wanted to come closer to take pictures and she watched me like a hawk. I was under her intense scrutiny as I came around to find a good angle to shoot. Deeply feel her fear and anxiety, I stayed away from her.  Mother's love prevails and danger recedes by itself. Lovely scene in lovely spring.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Chris. Great job at the tulip farm... third time is the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tulips are nothing short of amazing. Chris, you have a real gift with the lens.

    ReplyDelete