Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Understated


Winter is mild in Bay Area. Temperature is at least ten degree higher than Northwest. 
There is the comfort of convenient access to Asian food supplies and I can hang out with my siblings as often as I want.  However, it is almost impossible to move back to California after decades when some real estate has been multiplied by 10’s times.  Fortunately, what matters the most to me are the beautiful nature and down-to-earth people here in Northwest and my daughters seem to enjoy here more, too.

Landscape and flowers are my favorite subjects.  When I am on the road, I also enjoy street photography and architecture. For the fact that I am still bashful pointing my camera at people, architecture becomes something that I am gravitated towards.  When my sister asked me if I was interested to go on a real estate house tours with her, I immediately said Yes and surely I am glad that I did.  It was an eye opener for me.

Many ordinary looking houses have high quality construction and outstanding interior decoration. On many occasions, I thought I was walking into a basic house, but boy, the simple entry leads into a big space and brings out whole load of drama. Land price is outrageous and property sizes are quite limited, but this is where I learn how to make best use of the space and create such nice places that you can still enjoy as you live in the country with acres land.

I lived in Palo Alto (where Stanford University is) for a short period.  It is a very civilized place with old houses and well-established business.  I liked it because it is quiet and organized, but a bit of staleness and out-of-date when I was there 20 years ago.  The moment when I left, the real estate started to take off, up and up, and still soaring.  It is now the place where all the young and successful silicon valley entrepreneurs live.
Steve Job's house is probably the most photographed in the neighborhood. The house sits on the corner of the two prestigious streets. If he is not well known, people can easily walk by without noticing it. Outside the house is a practical Audi sedan, not fancy stuff.

A genius who makes the big splash and impacts our modern life dramatically and yet lives so humbly and understated. That's where my respect and admiration come from.

I have been repeatedly taught since childhood that the most profound speaks the least and an empty vinegar bottle shakes and makes noise. Undoubtedly, I am influenced greatly by this cultural standard that I tend to evaluate a person by his or her demeanor. It is not judgmental. We all have our favorite people that we like to hang out with, and that's how I have my picks.

This house belonged to the founder of Hewlett-Packard.  It is nestled in layer of trees with large front and backyard.  It is the kind of house that you live here, work here and have relax time here without having to go to a park.  A bit of seclusion can be obtained in the extremely expensive area.

In this street alone where both houses are located, housing prices are ranging from 7.5million to 20 million which is way more expensive than the celebrity houses in Hollywood and other exotic locations outside the country. I have never thought this would be the case. While Hollywood celebrity are pursuing luxurious indulgence, loud and clear, these intelligent people are quietly challenging their wiz to change the world.

Just to show a few more pricing property with the kind of architecture that I like. Appearance makes no dramatic statement. Quality is presented on its own. I know if I come closer, I will spend hours to photograph the details.

I am not that interested in the success of young biz tycoons and the value of these expensive houses. What I found interesting is the appearance of these houses, and how they are presented to a pedestrian like me. They are nice, but not overwhelmed.  They make you stand a while to enjoy, but not to blind your eyes with glamour and flame.

Unlike the mansions of Hollywood celebrities and rich heiresses in New York, theses houses do not have the sign of luxury, sensation or uniqueness.  They look just like one of the better houses, manicured, maintained and have a character of its own. They don’t strike you in ostentatious way, no boast, no big splash. Instead of cold and exclusive, they actually look welcoming.

If you have noticed, I enjoyed looking at the entry way of these houses. A lettuce entry with evergreens to welcome the guest to unfold the
multi million dollar home hidden within. Other than privacy, how these people so not care about their appearance? I just love it. I believe people overly look out their appearance possess a sense of insecurity and the confident ones contrarily don't care.  Here are the proofs.

Walking down this narrow sidewalk, I thought this street should be named Humble Avenue. I wandered in this street for a good hour and did not see a single soul coming out of the houses. It will be interesting for me to witness if they are as respectful as I expected, well, it is not important.
I have been addicting to Orton effect in the last couple weeks. I have applied it to some of the images for my fun sake.  I hope I did not overdo it and you think I am such a bad cook.

I caught a pretty bad cold that has lasted for a while and dragged me down. I thought spring is almost here and I can finally get back on track, but it is now 29 and will go down to 22 tonight and tomorrow as I am writing, yucks.  


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful choices in your photography as always, Chris. I really enjoy hearing your review & description on each house. I'm a curious person too :)

    ReplyDelete