Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Colors


Since I dropped my illustrator for lady’s handbags, I have barely checked out the current fashion and trends. The day of strolling down the fashion alleys in Milan, Florence and New York is over. I have put away my business suits, dresses and high heals. Instead of shopping fashion stores, I am going to sports stores now.

This is a big change for me because I have been so dedicated to style and fashion, and I have always thinking sportswear is too masculine and too boring for my taste. When I was the product manage for Columbia branded leather goods, I went to their office regularly for product presentations and I often wondered then who would buy their stuff… now I know.

I cannot tell you since when I started to wear sports apparels and now I wear them 90% of the time. I fell in love with Columbia clothing because they are so versatile and comfortable. They are perfect for my in-home photography and photography outings. I wear them for hiking and biking or simply take a quick trip to the grocery stores. As I started to use them, I found out that sports apparels are not only engineered for technical benefit and wearing comfort, they are also designed with trendy colors, details and trim. I can be active and also remain stylish….

Spring is quietly walking into our life. Spring flowers are budding. I seemed not be able to wait till their full bloom. I am out and around the house scouting every bit of life and color.  Colors often remind me of fashion and trends. Now speaking of sportswear and spring colors, I was suddenly urged to check out spring 2013 colors.

colors: African Violet & Lemon Zest
Violet color is trendy this spring, so is the lemon color.   Purple and yellow are complimentary colors.  They are both bright, but they look nice together. Look at these lantern roses on the bush. They do look like lanterns, don’t they?

I met a German couple who immigrated to US more than 20 years ago. They originally brought in the best growers from Germany and England (later added Holland) and began to grow this Hellebore flowers in Northwest. 
The flowers come in great varieties and colors. The plant is not only beautiful, it is tough and versatile.
color: Emerald
Emerald is my all time favorite stone.  Other than jade, this is definitely one popular stone used by Asians to fabricate beautiful jewelry that often become family heirlooms among the women. This green color is so deep and so rich, it takes your breath away. 

I was walking down the street looking for flowers and colors, here came an array of plum trees with these delicate flowers (picture below). They are up there embracing the blue sky. The clear sky traces every fine details of the flower.  This is the first time I noticed that plum flowers have multiple color tones, pink, peach, yellow, and black trims in the end. They are charming and refined. I was stunned by what I saw and you know what next, I was snapping it away.


I like many colors with dusk tones. Dusk Blue is another trendy color.  It is between blue and purple and the dusk tone makes it casual. Maybe that’s why I like it.   

color: Dusk Blue
color: Strawberry
Hot Pink is always popular among school girls and teenagers. It was in spring 2012 palette, but I still see them everywhere. This flower is from a deciduous tree named Red-flowering Current. It is a native plant and supposed to be deer resistant, but deer chewed up all the leaves last year. Not too optimistic about its future, I was thrilled to see the new blossoms.  I was afraid that deer would come and take them alive again, so I instantly took the picture. If they cannot fight deer, I at least have this picture to moan afterwards.  Hot pink is not my color. I purchased an off-season sweater at Christmas sales and I began to like it because the bright color energized me and I feel good. 

Fashion colors is there to boost the big bucks in fashion industry. I want to be stylish, but I certainly don't chase after trends. I don't feel that I am dated just because fashion vendors want to press you to wear a different color 6 month after.  Everyone should have a style of her own and only follow the trends that will enhance your outlook and make you feel good about yourself.




1 comment: